About Me

My photo
I have a Bachelor's in Psychology, a Master's in Human Relations, and a Ph.D. in telling people what to do. I raise children, dogs, cats, and hermit crabs and cultivate crabgrass and pretty weeds. I am teaching myself to cook, not because I love to cook but because I love to eat. I love to travel, read, and take pictures; I also like to write, so you'll get to read a lot about all the aforementioned subjects plus about anything else I happen to feel like sharing with you. I'll take all your questions and may even give some back with answers if you're lucky and I'm feeling helpful (or bored.)

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

it's my birthday and I'll age if I want to...

My birthday was this week.  I turned 25 this year.  I've been 21 for the past decade, but I felt that since my precious firstborn child is turning ten very shortly, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to claim the age of 21 anymore.  So I will be 25 for the next couple of years, until my baby sister turns 25, at which point I will automatically become only one year older than her in any given year.  Hopefully, she will subscribe to my 'birthday math' when she turns 28, so we can both stay in our late 20's well into our 80's, at which point we may both have to claim the age of 50 to avoid looking too ridiculous.


My birth ruined Thanksgiving for my mother the year I was born; everyone else in the family went off and had it without her (and me) and she had to eat hospital food instead.  I'm not sure she's ever forgiven them all for that, but luckily she doesn't hold it against me.


However, I do have seven days of thanks to give, so in honor of my birthday, I am thankful for people who have shaped my life:


My mother, who has made such a success of her professional life that even Mike Mulligan and his steam shovel look lazy next to her accomplishments.  And she looks marvelous for her age, which gives me hope for my own future.


My grandmother, who I am named for, and who has given me so many gifts, not least that of my family heritage, which I would know nothing of if she had not taken the time to pester her grandparents about it decades ago.


My second-grade teacher, who was the first left-handed person I ever encountered besides me, and who taught me how to tie my shoes, hold scissors, and write in something resembling legible penmanship.


My husband, for so many reasons that listing them would take me months and you'd get tired of hearing about it.


My oldest son, the unwitting guinea pig of my parenting skills.  So far, he has thrived, which means I must be doing something right.


My middle son, who is the most unique individual I have ever met in my entire life.  Sometimes Soldier and I just look at him, then look at each other, and shake our heads.  This kid is going to grow up to be an actor, an athlete, and a comedian, not to mention beloved by women the world over.  He's also the only one of my kids who looks even remotely like me, which, as a parent, you have to admit is pretty endearing.


My baby, who has already demonstrated at age four that he is smarter than his father, and possibly, even me.


Today's thankful entries are brought to you by the number 5, which is how many days my kids have off for the holiday this week, and the number 0, which is how much patience I will have left by the end of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment